Please note: if you need to request a HEFER for your MT online application, please go to


From February 2022 all Mid Tier online CS customers need to request a CS HEFER from the HEFER self service portal.  MT online customers should register to use the HEFER self service portal and can request a CS HEFER by submitting their SBI.  Customers will receive an email to let them know when their CS HEFER is available, or they can check for available CS HEFERs here

For Higher Tier CS customers, and Mid Tier CS customers who have requested an application pack from RPA by telephone, the process has not changed and RPA will request a HEFER on your behalf.

For local authority and Historic England consultees the process has not changed, so please continue to use this website to submit your responses in line with the Historic Environment Farm Environment Record (HEFER) service standard.


All general Countryside Stewardship queries should be directed to Telephone 03000 200 301 (Opening times: 8:30am to 5pm Monday to Friday).

If you have a Natural England adviser please contact them for Higher Tier application and agreement queries.

Association of Local Government Archaeological Officers (ALGAO) members should check the Countryside Committee webpage for updates and send any queries to HER support on the Contact page.

Historic England & Natural England advisers should address any issues to the relevant help address on the Contact page.

Any outstanding queries regarding HEFER payments should be sent to and copied to

This website no longer supports Internet Explorer 11, so for the best experience please use Edge, Chrome or Firefox. 

Last Modified: Jun 27, 2022