Frequently Asked Questions for Unregistered Users

This web site is designed to be used by farmers, land managers, Countryside Stewardship applicants, Historic England advisors, local authority historic environment advisors  and other SHINE partners.

If you are an local authority historic environment advisor or a Historic England staff member, please sign in or register using the menu options above.

If you are an applicant for Countryside Stewardship or a Natural England staff please refer to the specific Frequently Asked Questions below:

What is the Selected Heritage Inventory for Natural England (SHINE)?

The Selected Heritage Inventory for Natural England (or SHINE) is a single, nationally consistent dataset of undesignated historic environment features from across England that could benefit from management within a Countryside Stewardship agri-environment scheme that is administered by the RPA and Natural England on behalf of Defra. Data about suitable sites is created by local authority Historic Environment Records (HERs) and fed into the national SHINE dataset.

This dataset (which also appears on the Environmental Information Maps provided with Environmental Stewardship application packs) shows applicants where selected historic environment features can be found on their holding, encouraging better care and beneficial management of heritage assets by farmers and land managers entering into CountrysideStewardship agreements.

Originally created and developed through DEFRA Technical Assistance funding in circa 2010-2012, the data set is now updated throughout the annual Countryside Stewardship consultation windows to include newly identified archaeological sites and features and changing management requirements.

This SHINE website is designed for use by farmers, land agents, CS applicants, local authority HERs and SHINE partners.

Please use the Contact page if you have any enquiries regarding the SHINE dataset.

How do I find out more information about SHINE?

For more information about the dataset or the SHINE project, please use the Contact page on the top right hand menu.

For more information about specific SHINE features shown on your Environmental Information Map, please contact your local Historic Environment Record.

How do I get advice about historic environment features on my land?

As a Countryside Stewardship applicant: The Environmental Information Map provided by RPA (as part of the CS application pack) should have identified some of the sites on your land suited to protection and management under the scheme.  If you have a Scheduled Monument on your land, you will be required to manage it, so you need further advice.  Your land may, however, contain many more historic sites and features than show on the current SHINE dataset, and you could be considering options that could damage those features. 

Outside of any Scheme obligations, as an interested party: If you require more detailed advice on the historic features on your land or more specific advice on site management, your local authority’s Historic Environment Service or Historic Environment Record can usually provide assistance in the first instance.